Please note: this post is not for those easily skeeved.
It's Saturday night and my sister and BIL happily (!?) volunteered to watch Things 1, 2 and 3 so that the Husband and I could go out for a nice, adult-conversation-only dinner. We were supposed to meet up with friends but that fell through at the last minute. (For now, we'll blame Shaniqua and Cancun. Hey, she's going away for 5 days, without kids, to a peaceful, wonderfully warm beach, with nothing to do but relax. We're not. I think we can throw some guilt-laden blame her way, don't you? : )
So the Husband and I head out with no reservations. On a Saturday night. At 8pm. I'm not sure what we were thinking. I think we'd forgotten that people actually go out that late and eat. By that point, we're usually home, fed, and wrangling three kiddos into their beds. So we venture down to PF Chang's. Again, not sure why we thought we'd get a table. Or even a table in a reasonable amount of time. One hour, 40 minutes. Hmm, no thanks. We get back in the car and call 2 Japanese Steakhouses and 1 Seafood restaurant. An hour and a half, an hour forty-five. Oh, and the girl at the seafood place just laughed as she told us, You're looking at about two hours now. WHAT? Seriously? At this point we were starving. The local pizza joint was looking yummy. But we had a sitter!! The point is to go somewhere that you wouldn't take your kids, right?
I remembered a Japanese restaurant in a nearby shopping center. A place where I know that friends / neighbors have gone numerous times before. A place that will remain nameless at this point in time.
Should we try it? Sure!
Not that many cars in the parking lot, but a big ol' 2008 Zagat Rated sticker on the front door. OK, good start. We walked in and the place was actually pretty nice looking. Not busy. But then again it's tucked away and it was nearly 8:30pm at this point.
Table for 2? Hibachi? Sure!
Here's where it gets skeevy (in case you disregarded my first warning!):
Following the waitress back to our seats, I looked down and noticed a HUGE LIVE cockroach, lying on it's back, kicking and screaming! (Well, I'm not positive it was screaming but it certainly was ALIVE and hoping to be up-righted.) UGH!! So gross! So gross! I'm skeeved just thinking about it. So I stop the Husband and he spots it. I call the hostess back because she's now wondering why we've stopped. Not sure if anyone else noticed what was going on but frankly, I didn't care. I pointed it out to the hostess. She apologized. (What else was she going to do?) The Husband looked at me and said, "Let's go. We're outta here." I know I shouldn't have but I actually hesitated. I was sooo hungry and every place had such a long wait. But he was right. We had to leave...Ewwww!
BTW, we ended up at an Italian restaurant and had a very nice meal. And didn't spot any more critters.
Monday, April 7, 2008
Ewwww.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OK, I so need to know the name of that restaurant! Go ahead, blame the soon to be tan, well fed, relaxed, just had a massage and swam with the dolphins girl... I guess I deserve it!
Post a Comment