That statement's not quite true. I don't have a green thumb. I actually have the opposite of a ggreen thumb, though I'm not quite sure what that color might be. I received three house plants two years ago when I moved into our new home. Two are still with us, though one looks like it's contemplating other options. I try. I really do. I water them. Maybe I water too much? Who knows. I give them sunlight. Is it enough? I don't know.
I love the way outdoor flowers make a home look so pretty. I planted some last year. I watered them. They looked really, really sad. They didn't stay with us for very long. (Don't you like how I make it seem like it was their option to move on?? : ) Fall seems to be my season. I do well with mums and bales of hay. But this spring I decided to try again.
Today I visited my local Lowe's. (Have you seen their commercials? You know the one where the guy goes in to look for flowers and it's all colorful. Then he steps back and it's all black and white. Yeah, that doesn't really happen, in case you were wondering.) Anyway, I thought I'd go in and get a rush of floral know-how just sweeping over me. Not so much. While trying to make sure that Thing 3 didn't run away or, more specifically, climb into the water fountain displays, I looked at many many many flowers. Some were annual. Some were not annual. Guess they don't last the whole year. Some were for lots of sunlight; some were for a little sunlight. And I would need to remember this how often?? I have three kids. I can't be bothered remembering to move my flowers. There were many colors. Some looked full of life; others looked like they were waiting. For what, I don't know.
So I just started grabbing. Oh, and I eaves-dropped on two women who were buying too. They looked like they knew what they were talking about. So whenever they picked up something and walked away, I went over and picked up what they did! Then they were gone and I was left to fend for myself. So I grabbed and grabbed. No idea what I was doing. But I figured, how bad could it be??
Eighty-six dollars later and ta-da... I planted them all by myself! A big deal for me...However, I think I may have bought too much. These are all the flowers I have left over...
Monday, April 14, 2008
My Green Thumb
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That would be $860 pesos if you lived in Mexico! Either way I hope it included the planter :)! Very nice selection... I have lots of ideas for the extras. I live with a so-called Green Thumb. Mine turned brown and fell off some time ago when I killed my air plant.
Sadly, no. I already had the planter. I bought that last year and it sat empty the entire time. Hence, my anxiety for doing something with it this spring.
My vote for next year .. hostas. You just CAN'T kill them!
What in the world is a hosta? And is it plastic?
Post a Comment