Monday, July 30, 2007

Girls' Getaway Weekend

Last weekend was our Annual Girls' Getaway Weekend and, as always, it was a blast and one for the scrapbooks! We headed to Toms River for three days of shopping, eating, drinking, & sunbathing. With 20 kids between the 6 of us, we definitely needed the break! Right now it's only once a year, but who knows...

We started with shopping. We got to the outlets around noon and after an hour or so of shopping, decided to break for lunch. It wasn't so bad, food-court food. After all, it's just lunch. Well, NINE HOURS LATER, we ended up having dinner at the same food court!!! I wish I had pictures of us all jammed in the van...you could hardly see our heads, what with all of our packages! (And I swear, I don't think any of us spent more than $50!)

We finally made it to the house around 10pm and most of us had every intention of getting in our PJ's and just chilling. However, someone had other ideas...when do we get the chance to just go out? Good point. So after checking out (and trying on) all our new purchases, we got ready and headed to the bars. (Oh my, when was the last time I said that?!) We ended up at the Beachcomber on the boards. After reading the Rules for Entering (which, yes, were posted at the door!) and NOT being carded (seriously? Oh, man, do we really look that old?), we went in. Oh, in case you were wondering, some of the posted rules were: No Du Rags, No Gang Colors, and Hats Must Be Straight. (Obviously we all passed.) Long story short, it was a fun night! (For those of you who were there, you already know all the wonderful details of that evening. For those who weren't, you missed out....but keep these thoughts in mind:

1) Rumpleminz, Kamikaze, & Jaegermeister...not a good combination
2) You can leave a friend in the vehicle as long as a) she's belted in and b) you bring her part of your french toast stick when you return!
3) Bugs can be bad. If it's only a moth, you can go back to sleep.
4) Always let Michelle have her seat.
5) Watch out for the LIT DEER!

Hanging out on the boards of Seaside Heights...wish I had gotten a picture of the Italian Boys Club with their hair spiked way way out.


Self-explanatory for those who were there...
So we're sitting on the boardwalk, enjoying the BIGGEST slice of pizza we've ever seen, zeppoles, funnel cake and, of course, Kohr Brothers, when we happen upon one of those typical boardwalk suck-all-your-money games. This one happened to be the kind where you put your money down on a selection, then spin the wheel. Each selection on the board has only ONE spot on the wheel. (Read: very slim chances of winning.) But the prizes at this particular game were a bit more exciting than your typical poorly-stuffed, not-so-soft, oversized stuffed animal. If you won, you got to choose from any of the real (note: real, not knock-offs...and we know they're real because Michelle "checked them out") COACH bags! So Melissa thought we should all just give it a try, "for sh*ts and giggles," I think was her exact line. Only Melissa, Michelle and I actually played. For $5, I thought I'd give it a go. Down went the $, around went the wheel...waiting, watching...
Where will it stop?
Passing BOB (my pick), it stops on GEO...and guess who had that???
Yeah, Melissa! (Now which one to pick....???)
We were all excited! How cool was that?! On the first try!!! Here, the bag itself... ooooo...ahhhh.....
OK, anyone who knows me, knows I'd never be able to make it through a real tattoo. So this seemed like a fun alternative. They said it would last for a month or so. It's been a little over a week now and mine (bottom foot) has no more color. Bummer! I was getting attached to it. Maybe...someday...when they allow you to get an epidural first....(Michelle got one too. Hers is the top foot. I made her go first, "in case it hurt". OK, so I didn't know that henna was merely some form of paint...still it's always good to have that friend who will test things out for you! Thanks M!)
Saturday night we didn't make it as quite a late night as we did on Friday. Maybe we're getting old. Maybe we're just getting smart (although, it sure didn't feel like that the night before!) After dinner at the Crab's Claw Inn and a fun night on the boards, we chilled in our PJ's...


We didn't get as late a start on Sunday as we did the previous day. (It's amazing how energized one can feel when they're not hung-over!) Heading out to the beach for a final day of sun, we stopped at the Toms River Diner (good pick, Suzy!) Food was yummy and plentiful...though no one was a big fan of my scrapple. Kudos to Karen and Melissa for giving it a try though! And we must give a shout out to the boys of the diner, friendly as they were... After a quick "stop" at the Wal-Green's, it was on to the beach. It was just so relaxing, not having to chase after anyone or worry about any possible drownings. After our time on the beach, we packed up, showered, and cleaned up the house (thanks Mimi!!) and headed home. (sigh) We hit the outlets one more time (apparently one can never have too many $4 bras); then stopped for dinner at Ruby Tuesday's, where we enjoyed another yummy meal AND got to shop on QVC! Who knew?!

Alas, the weekend had to come to an end. But, just like every time, many memories were made and great friendships were strengthened. Love you guys! Looking forward to next year! (Vegas anyone?)

1 comment:

Shawne said...

Kim,
It sounds like you all had a great time! I know I count down to my annual girls weekend getaway (6 months to go)! Hope you are all well. We are trying to plan a trip up there this fall, I'll let you know.
Take care,
Shawne