Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Police Tour 2007











It all started back in February or March (who can remember now?) when my husband told me I "just HAD to go online tomorrow at noon EXACTLY and buy tickets to see The Police at the Garden....And be sure to buy THE ABSOLUTE BEST seats you can get...regardless of what they cost!" Are you kidding me? I'm taking the kids back and forth to school, making lunches, doing laundry, cleaning the house, making calls for various appts and now I've got to go online and order Police tickets??? OK, I thought, no problem. I'll just go on at 12pm, place my order and be done with it. Yeah. Right. Anyone who's ever tried to order tickets online the minute they go on sale, knows it's not that simple. I swear I even went online 10 minutes before noon and still, at noon, kept getting back the response that "no tickets are available". Then two came back, available. Hmmm...but are they close enough for him? Nah, I'll pass. OK, not the best idea. Now another 15 minutes went by before I got the option again. Heart racing, I thought, OMG, he'll kill me if I don't get him something! Do I let him know that I threw two seats back in 15 minutes ago?? Nope, I decided. Never. So I bought the second set of seats I was offered. Section 5, Row A, Seats 5 & 6. Looked good to me. After all, what did I know?

Fast forward 6 months. The night had arrived...and we still had the tickets. (Oh, did I mention I'm not a big Police fan? I thought, when I bought the tickets, that he'd be taking a friend. Nope, he wanted to go with his wife. Silly me. Oh well. He went to see "The Music Man starring Eric McCormack" with me; guess I owe it to him.)

After a train ride into the city & a taxi cab ride to the hotel (both of which I can honestly say are NOT favorite modes of transportation for this not-so-city girl), we freshened up and headed out to do a little shopping and grab a bite to eat before the show. (Note: when we arrived in The Big Apple, it was hot, humid & sunny...when we left our hotel room, without looking out the window, it had flipped to a pouring rain. Yes, pouring. Cats & dogs.) Now moving around the city on foot, trying not to let the rain splashing up from my flip-flops bother me, we'd huddle every few stores or so to find a dry moment. To top it all off, and why not, we even stepped off the sidewalk to cross the street, only to be completely splashed by a taxi as he whizzed on by. Did I mention I was soaked? Completely frustrated, but still trying to maintain a good things-could-be-worse attitude, we found a quaint little Italian restaurant in Times Square. Perhaps you've heard of it: The Olive Garden. There was no wait, the service was friendly and the food was sooo yummy! Definitely a hit for us! (Hey, we were dry and fed. What more could we ask for?)

So it was back to the hotel again for a shower and quick change. It's amazing how quickly you can get ready when you don't have three kids to deal with! Back in cab, we raced (yes, raced) up 9th Avenue to get to the Garden. Oh, how fun! Though I tried my darndest to get G to hock the tickets, he wasn't having any of it. (I thought we could make a boatload of money and go shopping at Tiffany's, PLUS pay for the weekend. Apparently that wasn't going to happen.) So in we went. Along with 87,998 other people. Wow. There are A LOT of Police fans, most of whom are actually older than us...and still holding on to the notion that they actually still look good in their original Police Tour t-shirts! Fun to watch....

Here's where I have to admit: I actually enjoyed myself! I knew more songs than I thought I would and liked even more than that (with the exception of "Roxanne"...gotta say, I can't stand that song!) Sting looked fabulous! And his voice is melodic. He could probably sing just about anything. You know they say some people sound better on tape than they do live? Not Sting. He sounded amazing. I'm glad I went...it was worth it. Thanks, babe. Oh, and Happy Birthday...

P.S. It was pouring rain once again when we left MSG...thunder, lightening, the works. Who knew?

No comments: